RAW 141107


This weeks RAW offerings to peruse this weekend over your favourite beverage:

  • Digital Watermarks Take the Publishing World by Storm
  • AAP: Religion publishers’ sales rise in July
  • Betting on Barnes & Noble 
  • Google Play Books is now a lot better for reading nonfiction titles like textbooks
  • Disney Patents a Search Engine Which Makes it Harder to Find and Read Relevant Info.

And if you haven't read it already, check out one of my recent articles...

E-Books: Keep 'em Together

wolfsbooks.blogspot - Am I Able To Start Reading From Where I Left Off, On Any Device?
I love the freedom I now have of being able to read what I want almost anywhere without having to take a physical book with me.  When I am out and about I always have my phone on me, so while waiting at the Barbers I can pull it out of my pocket and continue to read the book I was reading last night on my iPad, which is still laying on my bedside table. ...keep reading





Publishing

Digital Watermarks Take the Publishing World by Storm

goodereader.com - Major Publishers and Bookstores are staring to forgo Adobe DRM and instead embrace Digital Watermarking technology. They are doing this because it is easier for the customer to be able to load the eBooks they purchase onto their e-Reader, smartphone or tablet. Right now Watermarking is big in Europe and being the de’facto standard in the publishing arena, but now North Americans are starting to realize the potential. ...Read more



AAP: Religion publishers’ sales rise in July

christianretailing.com - [Entire artilce] The Association of American Publishers (AAP) StatShot report issued Tuesday shows that July sales were up 2.8% for religious presses with hardcover editions gaining the most over July 2013, rising 7.4%. For the first seven months of the year, sales from religious presses were up 1.9% overall with e-books rising 25.7%. For the year-to-date period through July, hardcover sales were down 4.8%, and paperbacks were up 4.6%. In the overall market, the children’s/YA category saw ongoing year-over-year increases across all book formats. Source



Book Stores

Betting on Barnes & Noble 

The Motley Fool - Sizing up the bookseller, one analyst argues Barnes & Noble still has a few key competitive advantages in the retail market and therefore isn't ready to count it out. Consider his case, then decide for yourself. ...Read more




Digital Reading


Google Play Books is now a lot better for reading nonfiction titles like textbooks


theverge.com - We're all familiar with the concept of reading an ebook. you can, tap or flip your way through the pages, and maybe highlight a few favorite passages or look up some word definitions along the way. Google believes that's a fine formula for reading a novel, but sorely lacking when reading nonfiction books — think cookbooks, textbooks, or any other book that you don't typically read straight through from cover to cover. If it's not something you read serially, Google's thinking goes, the ebook experience is still sub-optimal. Read more...


Technology

Disney Patents a Search Engine Which Makes it Harder to Find and Read Relevant Info.

the-digital-reader.com - Disney is not known for their work in search engines, and after looking over their latest patent I can understand why.  ...Read more.



Comments

Popular Posts