Random Articles - RAW 160212


The weekend is nearly upon us and hopefully there'll be time to relax and reflect on the week that has passed.  But for now here are some really nice articles that you can enjoy with your favourite beverage.

If you missed it last week, don't forget to take a look at my latest book review: Crazy Busy  This thought provoking and quick to read book is one which I would recommend to both Christians and non-Christian alike.

Enjoy!





The Ultimate Unsolicited Redesign: How One 29-Year-Old Is Reimaging the Bible


The unsolicited redesign has become a staple side project for designers looking for a little practice (or attention). Creatives jazzing up the status quo have taken to whipping up a few mockups of cultural touch points. Adam Lewis Greene’s book designer believed the Bible needed a design makeover. But rather than just post the mockups he, well, actually did it. Funded by $1.4 million from a Kickstarter campaign, he and a small team are currently undertaking the editing, printing, manufacturing, and shipping processes. Read more...


The History and Techniques of Marbled Paper


The art of marbling paper is very, very old. Unfortunately, like many historical facts involving paper, no one is exactly sure how old it is. Paper doesn't tolerate the ravages of time like stone or metal. However, historians agree that the technique of marbling has been making paper exceptionally beautiful since 10th century Japan. Read more...



New Harry Potter book from JK Rowling coming out in July: the play script


Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II will be published the day after the play begins in London, picking up the wizard’s story 19 years after the final novel in the series. Read more...


Who really owns my Kindle?’ and other questions for the post-digital age


Here is a question for you: ‘Who really owns my Kindle?’ I bought it. I paid for it. It’s mine, right? Maybe not. The murky post-digital copyright waters continue to muddy in this regard. I own my Kindle, sure. But can Amazon prevent me from loading competitor’s books on it? Can they prevent me from loading my own apps, and using them to do what I please? If I use my Kindle tablet to help me write a book, can Amazon claim any ownership of it? These are not inconsequential questions, if we really want to be full-fledged owners rather than mere serfs. Read more...



The Meaning of Planet Nine


In his famous sonnet, On First Looking into Chapman's Homer, John Keats describes the moment he first came to appreciate some of the great works of classical antiquity. He says he had been told of a domain where Homer reigns supreme—a “wide expanse,” in the “realms of gold,” where “bards in fealty to Apollo hold.” “Yet did I never breathe its pure serene,” he says. Not until he read Chapman’s translations of the Homeric epics. “Then,” says Keats, “I felt like some watcher of the skies, when a new planet swims into his ken.” Read more...

We've Found Gravitational Waves. Now What?



 This moment has been 100 years in the making. Einstein predicted the existence of gravitational waves with his general theory of relativity in 1915, and physicists uncovered indirect evidence in the 1970s and 1980s. But direct detection has proven elusive—until now. And the story of gravitational waves and what they’re able to tell us is just now beginning. Read more...



Liked what you read? Want to known when new posts are up?
To follow me on Twitter or Google+ click on the images below.
 Twitter    Google+    YouTube

Comments

Popular Posts