Up and Coming Reads | The Fireman


I've always been partial to an apocalyptic dystopian novel so when I read about Joe Hill's The Fireman I was instantly interested.

The book has been out for just over a month with mixed reviews. Some thought it was wildly entertaining while others thought it as dull as dirt.  Here are three excerpts which sum up the different camps.


The Fireman was an epic tale, populated with characters you love and hate, highlighting what's both good and bad in society today. Somehow, though, I came out of the experience with a sense of hope and also a sense of excitement regarding what Joe Hill will do next. - Charlene 

That Hill can write is a given. But this book doesn't have any heart. It's not enough of anything to make it memorable. I found myself greeting the ever more depressing and dangerous paths of the plot with little more than a shrug. At the final denouement, I honestly couldn't care less who lived or died. Perhaps because there was little surprise in it, the format of the book was well trodden. - Emma

Some serious editing could have turned this book into an exceptional 350 page novel, rather than the 750 page mess it ended up being. ... If you're a fan of Stephen King's output from the last couple of decades... This book is for you. It very much emulates the modern King's unhurried storytelling style - Evans Light


Have you read The Fireman? What do you think?



The Fireman
by Joe Hill

Nobody knew where the virus came from.

FOX News said it had been set loose by ISIS, using spores that had been invented by the Russians in the 1980s.

MSNBC claimed it might’ve been created by engineers at Halliburton and stolen by Christians fixated on the Book of Revelation.

But while every TV station debated the cause, the whole world exploded into fire. 

Pregnant school nurse Harper Grayson has seen lots of people burn on TV, but the first person she saw burn for real was in the playground behind the school.

A man in a dirty yellow firefighter’s jacket, known as The Fireman, has learned to control the fire within himself, using it as both a shield and a weapon.

Now, in a desperate fight to survive, Harper must learn The Fireman’s secrets before her life—and that of her unborn child—goes up in smoke, along with the rest of civilisation . . .










In these post titled 'Up and Coming Reads', I want to provide you with some suggested reading material that I think looks interesting and I would like you to consider too.

I may not have read these books yet, but they are on my radar and would like to share my interests with you. Check them out and see what you think.

If I've provided a link to Amazon then I'm hoping to get some sort of commission if you make a purchase. Doing so will help me buy more books so it should be a win-win for us both.

Enjoy reading more and thinking more... with your favourite beverage!


Liked what you read? Want to known when new posts are up?
To follow me on Twitter or Google+ click on the images below.
 Twitter    Google+    YouTube

Comments

Popular Posts