Up and Coming Reads | Down Station














Down Station

by Simon Morden


I was looking through some new releases for 2016 and came across this book, Down Station by Simon Morden.  It's published by Gollancz and the blurb looked interesting.

In Down Station a small group of commuters and tube workers witness a fiery apocalypse overtaking London. They make their escape through a service tunnel. Reaching a door they step through...and find themselves on a wild shore backed by cliffs and rolling grassland. The way back is blocked. Making their way inland they meet a man dressed in a wolf's cloak and with wolves by his side. He speaks English and has heard of a place called London - other people have arrived here down the ages - all escaping from a London that is burning. None of them have returned. Except one - who travels between the two worlds at will. The group begin a quest to find this one survivor; the one who holds the key to their return and to the safety of London.

And as they travel this world, meeting mythical and legendary creatures,split between North and South by a mighty river and bordered by The White City and The Crystal Palace they realize they are in a world defined by all the London's there have ever been.


In a review on Tor.com, Niall Alexander, compared it to 'The Wizard of Oz with lashings of Lost.'

Simon Morden has won the Philip K. Dick Award and been a judge on the Arthur C. Clarke Award. He has proved to be a popular author of both noir SF and extravagant Fantasy themed SF. He has also been an editor at Focus magazine. And he also has a degree in Geology and Planetary Geophysics.

Simon Morden has written  “I’m obviously delighted that Gollancz are publishing Down Station and its sequel. It’s entirely natural that these strange, wonderful stories have found a place at a strange and wonderful publisher.  It feels very much like coming home.

If you want to know more, you can find Niall Alexander's review here: link   Also you can listen to an extract of the book here: link  If you've read the book, let me know what you think, I'd love to hear.

Interested? Use this link to grab yourself a copy from Amazon.
Wolf's Books may receive a commission.







In these post titled 'Up and Coming Reads', I want to provide you with some suggested reading material that I think looks interesting and I would like you to consider too.

I may not have read these books yet, but they are on my radar and would like to share my interests with you. Check them out and see what you think.

If I've provided a link to Amazon then I'm hoping to get some sort of commission if you make a purchase. Doing so will help me buy more books so it should be a win-win for us both.

Enjoy reading more and thinking more... with your favourite beverage!

Liked what you read? Want to known when new posts are up or how to get in touch?
Reach out to me or follow me on Twitter or Google+ 
 Twitter    Google+    YouTube

Comments

Popular Posts